Saturday 7 July 2012

ASOS curve- why I think web content semantics are important


“Created by our ASOS Design Team with our customer in mind, ASOS CURVE presents a collection of plus size clothing to compliment the fuller figure. Look to ASOS CURVE for carefully considered trend-led styles from our mainline range, cleverly adjusted for the most flattering fit. This season, update your wardrobe with chic skater dresses and jersey tops, alongside playsuits and pretty blouses in bold prints and ultra-feminine lace, precisely cut for women of size 20 to 26.”

I love ASOS curve. Without them, I would no doubt be in big tunics and moo-moo’s. Everything they do is lovely. I want it all. And this isn’t JUST ASOS curve by a long chalk- a lot of other plus sized brands are guilty of this.
But I just have a serious beef with their web copy. This isn’t the hefty fucking hideaway, I am not the “fuller figure”… I do not need to be “carefully considered” or my clothes “cleverly adjusted” the whole thing smacks of walking on eggshells. The whole thing reads like ASOS is holding a huge bargepole, and only daning to touch up plus sized’s with it. 
ASOS are the leading in plus sized clothing, and they could just do amazingly at it. I know it’s only a small thing, but I read the copy and it makes me cringe. I just want fashion to be talked about with no mention to flattering my “feminine curves”. I do not speak for the majority in plus sized consumers, I am aware that a lot of people want to be flattered and they want certain aspects of their body hiding- but it feels like trying to sell hats to decapitated people without mentioning the fact that they don’t have a head. I’m fat, I wear clothes, sell them to me. I have money, I want you to take it. It would be a small step in fat acceptance, and something that I think brands could really benefit from.
Was anyone at plus north today? Unfortunately I couldn’t get up north, but I really wanted to ask people and brands about this. It just seems like there’s a huge niche market that isn’t being utilised, through things as simple as the semantics of copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment